- Standard ATD ARA-001
Humanetics BioRID-II was designed to promote the development of more effective head and neck protection during rear impact collisions. Prior dummy models indicated a severe lack of biofidelity, and so the BioRID was engineered to demonstrate a more natural neck movement consistent with whiplash from rear impact force.
The BioRID-II has been validated against low-speed volunteer data. It was developed by Chalmers University and Denton ATD (now part of Humanetics) and is produced by Humanetics.
- Head: Modified Hybrid III. Chin modified to clear cervical vertebrae. Allows mounting leveling tool
- Neck, Thorax, and Abdomen: The BioRID-II’s distinguishing feature is its vertebral column, which consists of 24 separate vertebrae: five lumbar, 12 thoracic, and seven cervical. Washers, urethane bumpers, and muscle-simulating springs provide biofidelic performance. The vertebral column is installed inside a silicone jacket featuring pin linkages to the vertebrae and a water filled bladder in the abdominal region.
- Pelvis: The Sacrum-to-L5 Interface Plate mates the spine assembly to the modiﬁed Hybrid III pelvis, which features a lower cut iliac and larger leg opening.
- Legs and Arms: The legs and arms of the dummy are standard Hybrid III 50th, with the option to include any of the sensors available for these appendages. Humanetics has developed a modified upper leg to accommodate a DTS G5 unit for an iDummy version of the BioRID-II, which is also available.
|OVERALL DIMENSIONS||780.0 x 466.0 x 1312.0 mm||30.7 x 18.3 x 51.7 in|
|TOTAL WEIGHT||77.6 kg||171.1 lb|
|FOOTPRINT/WORK AREA||780.0 x 466.0 mm||30.7 x 18.3 in|
|SEATED HEIGHT||0.0 x 0.0 x 870.0 mm||0.0 x 0.0 x 34.3 in|
- Vehicular rear impact testing.
|WHERE USED||DEFINING REGULATION|
|Global Technical Regulations||GTR 7 (Head restraint)|
|IIHS||Seat/Head Restraints Dynamic|
The dummy is being used for research and standards development. It may be included in UNECE regulation 17 in the future.
|LINEAR ACCELEROMETERS||LOAD CELLS||LOAD CELLS||ANGULAR RATE|
|Head Axyz, Az for angular acceleration||Skull Cap Fxyz||T1 Thoracic Vertebrae Fxz, My or Fxy, My||For calibration|
|C4 Bi-axial accel pack Axz (not for Sled or vehicle test)||Spring Tube Posterior Fz||L5 Lumbar Fxyz, Mxyz|
|Neck T1 Bi-axial pack Axz||Spring Tube Anterior Fz|
|T8 Bi-axial Pack Axz||Upper Neck Fxyz, Mxyz|
|L1 Bi-axial Pack Axz|